The site navigation utilizes arrow, enter, escape, and space bar key commands. Left and right arrows move across top level links and expand / close menus in sub levels. Up and Down arrows will open main level menus and toggle through sub tier links. Enter and space open menus and escape closes them as well. Tab will move on to the next part of the site rather than go through menu items.

Runyon Preserve

Preserve History

The 21-acre Runyon Preserve was acquired between 1934 and 2004.

The preserve is part of the Fiddyment Creek preservation system, which conserves nearly 300 acres.

Prior to the District's acquisition of the land, it was the American Legion's Legion Park. The preserve was named after local settler and Illinois and Michigan Canal visionary and advocate Armstead Runyon.

PLAN YOUR ADVENTURE ON THIS PRESERVE'S INTERACTIVE MAP

Natural Resources

Runyon Preserve protects forest habitat and a portion of Fiddyment Creek.

Wildlife found at the preserve includes the western chorus frog.

Amenities and Activities

Picnicking

Runyon Preserve offers one picnic shelter for rental, Runyon Shelter (permit capacity of 50 people). Learn more about picnic permits and fees.

Geocaching

Permits are available for geocaching at this preserve. Learn more about geocaching permits.

Location

Runyon Preserve is located on Morgan Street, east of Hamilton Street in Lockport.

Phone

815.727.8700

Hours

8 a.m.-Sunset

The Citizen Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter for the latest updates