Free compost is available in the back parking lot at the Forest Preserve District’s Sugar Creek Administration Center in Joliet.
Members of the public are welcome to bring a container and a shovel to take some of the compost home.
The compost is left over from the Nature Foundation of Will County's “Bringing Nature Home” native plant sale on May 18, and it was donated by the Will County Land Use Department in partnership with Plainfield High School and Organix Recycling.
The high school produced food scraps that were turned into compost by Organix. The land use department is working to get the message out that there are composting companies in Will County. And they want to spread the word about the value of compost.
According to the University of Illinois Extension, compost:
- Improves the structure and texture of the soil enabling it to better retain nutrients, moisture and air for the betterment of plants.
- Gives the soil a crumbly texture, which allows it to drain well while retaining some moisture, and is easy to turn over and cultivate.
- Allows tender young roots to have an easier time penetrating into the soil.
- Helps improve all soil types, especially sandy and heavy clay soils.
- Adds nutrients to your soil that plants require for healthy growth.
- Attracts earthworms and provides them with a healthy diet. The presence of earthworms, redworms, centipedes, sow bugs and other soil critters shows that compost is a healthy living material.
- Helps to control diseases and insects that might otherwise overrun a more sterile soil.
- Keeps the pH of the soil at optimum levels for nutrient availability.
Stay up-to-date on the happenings in Will County's forest preserves by subscribing to The Citizen, our weekly digital newsletter that provides subscribers with updates on Forest Preserve news, upcoming events, and other fun and useful information for the whole family. If you're only interested in programs, subscribe to The Weekly Five, which outlines the five must-do programs each week. Signing up for either newsletter is easy and free of charge.