The Forest Preserve District's network of volunteers will be pitching in this winter to improve the preserves.
If you love nature and you want to help the environment, consider joining them by signing up for a resource management workday.
Workdays are scheduled for 8 a.m.-noon unless otherwise noted. A District representative will be at each workday to coordinate the day's activities. Registration is required; contact volunteer supervisor Renee Gauchat at 815.722.7364 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winter workdays are scheduled for:
- Sunday, January 7: Whalon Lake, Naperville
- Tuesday, January 9: Rock Run Preserve – Black Road Access, Joliet
- Sunday, January 14: Keepataw Preserve, Lemont
- Monday, January 15: Theodore Marsh, Crest Hill
- Tuesday, January 23: Kankakee Sands Preserve, Shenk Grove, Custer Township
- Tuesday, February 6: Lockport Prairie Nature Preserve, Lockport
- Saturday, February 10: Sugar Creek Preserve, Joliet, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Sunday, February 11: Hickory Creek Preserve – LaPorte Road Access, Mokena
- Tuesday, February 20: Birds Junction Marsh, Troy Township
- Saturday, February 24: Sugar Creek Preserve, Joliet, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Sunday, February 25: Kankakee Sands Preserve, Shenk Grove, Custer Township
- Tuesday, March 6: Theodore Marsh, Crest Hill
- Saturday, March 10: Lockport Prairie East Preserve, Lockport
- Sunday, March 11: Alessio Prairie, Crest Hill
- Tuesday, March 13: Thorn Creek Woods Nature Preserve, Park Forest/University Park
- Sunday, March 18: Lockport Prairie Nature Preserve, Lockport
Dress for the weather and outdoor work. Wear long pants, closed-toe shoes and work gloves. Work will take place on uneven terrain that is primarily natural surface.
Stay up-to-date on the happenings in Will County's forest preserves by subscribing to our digital newsletter, The Citizen. Signing up is easy, free of charge and provides subscribers with weekly updates on Forest Preserve news, upcoming events, and other fun and useful information for the whole family.