Do a good deed while enjoying nature with our Volunteer Mornings this fall
With cooler temperatures arriving, fall is the perfect time to sign up for a Volunteer Morning program with the Forest Preserve District.
The 2023 fourth quarter program dates have been released and there are ample opportunities for you to get involved at sites throughout Will County. Once you sign up, you will work with the Forest Preserve’s conservation department to mostly remove invasive species. Some programs involve seed collection.
Volunteer Mornings are from 9 a.m. to noon and for ages 10 and older unless otherwise noted. Participants younger than 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Volunteers are encouraged to wear appropriate clothing for outdoor work including sturdy shoes. Bringing water and snacks is recommended.
Here are the October through December programs:
- Tuesday, Oct. 3: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monee Reservoir. Seed collection. Ages 8 and older.
- Thursday, Oct. 5: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Kankakee Sands. Seed collection. Ages 8 and older.
- Sunday, Oct. 8: Joliet Junior College. Brush control.
- Tuesday, Oct. 17: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Plum Valley Preserve. Seed collection. Ages 8 and older.
- Sunday, Oct. 22: Hadley Valley – Gougar Road Access. Brush control.
- Saturday, Oct. 28: Keepataw Preserve. Brush control.
- Thursday, Nov. 2: Goodenow Grove Nature Preserve. Fence removal. Ages 16 and older.
- Sunday, Nov. 5: Rock Run Preserve – Black Road Access. Brush control.
- Sunday, Nov. 12: Riverview Farmstead Preserve. Brush control.
- Saturday, Nov. 25: Hickory Creek Preserve – LaPorte Road Access. Work off the turkey; brush control.
- Tuesday, Dec. 5: Sugar Creek Preserve, Joliet. Brush control.
- Saturday, Dec. 9: Hadley Valley – Bruce Road Access. Brush control.
- Thursday, Dec. 14: Keepataw Preserve. Brush control.
- Sunday, Dec. 17: Whalon Lake, Naperville. Brush control.
- Tuesday, Dec. 19: Riverview Farmstead Preserve – Kropp Prairie. Brush control.