Age: All ages.
This ongoing program runs from Thursday, Sept. 1, through Wednesday, Nov. 30.
Get out and get moving! It’s the 20th anniversary of Woods Walk! Experience 10 of Will County’s best trails during their fall splendor. Trails range from 1.5 miles to 4 miles in length, and each trail offers its own unique experience.
This year's trails are as follows:
- Four Rivers Trail at McKinley Woods – Kerry Sheridan Grove: 1.99 miles
- Hammel Woods Nature Trail at Hammel Woods – Route 59 Access: 2.86 miles
- Hickory Creek Bikeway at Hickory Creek Preserve – LaPorte Road Access: 3.47 miles
- Kankakee Sands Trail at Kankakee Sands Preserve – Route 113 Access: 2.97 miles
- North and South Loop trails at Messenger Woods Nature Preserve: 1.89 miles
- Plum Creek Greenway Trail at Goodenow Grove Nature Preserve: 2.92 miles
- Prairie Bluff Trail at Prairie Bluff Preserve: 2.26 miles
- Rock Run Greenway Trail at Theodore Marsh: 2.93 miles
- Spring Creek Greenway Trail at Hadley Valley: 4 miles
- Wauponsee Glacial Trail at Sugar Creek Preserve: 1.48 miles
New this year is a bonus hike! Take on an extra challenge with a short, 0.54-mile hike on the nature trail at Raccoon Grove Nature Preserve. This beautiful trail is a favorite from the first year of the Woods Walk program.
Don’t forget to log your walks as you go. To participate, pick up a Woods Walk hiking guide online or at any of five visitor centers: Four Rivers Environmental Education Center in Channahon, Hidden Oaks Nature Center in Bolingbrook, Isle a la Cache Museum in Romeoville, Plum Creek Nature Center in Crete Township and Sugar Creek Administration Center in Joliet.
Complete seven of the 10 trails and receive a 2022 Woods Walk hiking medallion. The deadline to submit a completed travel log to receive a medallion is Saturday, Dec. 31. The medallions will be available beginning Sept. 30. Woods Walk is supported by funding from The Nature Foundation of Will County.
No registration is required.
Trails included in the program are either asphalt, limestone or natural surfaces across uneven terrain. Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service to participate in this program should mention their request when registering, or submit a request online no later than 48 hours before the program.